Daily thoughts will be posted by ministry leaders to guide us during the 21 days. Feel free to comment.

Friday, January 4, 2008

Giving God Our Best

A son honors his father, and a servant his master. If then I am the Father, where is My honor? And if I am a Master, where is My reverence? Says the Lord of hosts to you priests who despise My name. Yet you say, ‘In what way have we despised Your name?’ You offer defiled food on My altar, but say, ‘ In what way have we defiled You?’ by saying, ‘ The table of the Lord is contemptible.’ And when you offer the blind as a sacrifice, is it not evil? And when you offer the lame and sick, is it not evil? Offer it then to your governor! Would he be pleased with you? Would he accept you favorably?” says the Lord of hosts.

Malachi 1:6-8

This passage sheds light on my life and makes me ask myself the question: Am I giving God my best or am I just "getting by" in our relationship? Have you ever had a relationship that was just barely making it? I have a word to describe my marriage if I were to just go through the motions: misery. It just doesn't work! A real relationship takes sacrifice and sincerity. Do those 2 words describe your relationship with the Lord right now? If not, let's not beat ourselves up because this is a new year! A new beginning. I love that we are focusing on prayer now at the beginning of '08. Do you know how many days it takes to create a habit? Studies show it takes 21 days. We weren't even thinking about that when we decided to committ to this for 21 days. Now lets focus on giving God our best. Since God says that we (the church) are His bride, how should we treat Him? Should we mumble the same words to Him over and over? Should we give Him just 10 minutes of alone time with us? Come on! Let's get a little romantic in this relationship. Let's not, as this verse describes, give Him an evil sacrifice. Let's give Him our best. 21 days of prayer is not a chore. It's a vacation with God so enjoy!

Kevin Harris

3 comments:

Filipe Santos said...

Wow, I definetely didn't think about the "21 days to develop a habit" either. This is a great opportunity to make this whole year about prayer - our focused prayer times don't need to end (the fasting definetely does though). Thanks for the reminder to give God our best. I'm looking forward to working with you this year man.

Jeffrey Oswalt said...

This year is definately one of those years to remember. I just have such a strong connection with God as we all focus on what must be done this year. We all have talents and God doesn't want our talents to go to waste. This is the year that will change our lives and the only person you have to conquer is yourself.

JEM said...

Thank You so much Northwood Assembly and Contributors to this 21 day journey of prayer! What an awesome way to start 2008...A year of New Beginnings and a time to let the light of Jesus shine out from us. Luke 11:33-36 Matt:5:16

I would humbly like to share what I have learned so far on my 21 day prayer journey.

Day 1: I started by reading Matthew 9:14-17. Jesus teaches about fasting and the importance of a fresh start. To follow Christ we must be prepared for new ways to live, new says to look at people, and new ways to serve.

Day 2: I focused my prayer time on Luke 11: 2-4 & Matt 6: 9-13. The Lord's Prayer. Here Jesus focuses on how we should pray.

Day 3: Luke 11:33-36...Jesus teaches about the light within. This prayer taught me the importance allowing my light...the Jesus in me...to shine out and guide others to HIM!

Day 4: Mark 14:36...with God everything is possible and to seek His will not my own. I do this by seeking God's Word daily. Which led me to this passage...Hebrews 4:12...The Word of God is living, life changing, and dynamic and works within us. God's Word reveals who we are, and what we are not. It penetrates our core of moral and spiritual life. The Word of God shapes our lives.
Psalm 25: 4-5 "Show me your ways, Lord, teach me your paths; guide me in truth and teach me, for you are God my Savior, and my HOPE is in you all day long.

Day 5...Today: I started my prayer time with Ephesians 5: 8-10Our actions should reflect our FAITH.
Matthew 5:16...We need to be a beacon of TRUTH and let the light of Jesus shine out of us so others can see it.