Daily thoughts will be posted by ministry leaders to guide us during the 21 days. Feel free to comment.

Sunday, January 20, 2008

Constant & Earnest Prayer


Peter was therefore kept in prison, but constant (earnest) prayer was offered to God for him by the church. -Acts 12:5 

It's 4:46 in the morning and I've been up praying for the last hour or so over my family, my core team of leaders, staff pastors, our church and anything else that I can think of.  I wake up sometimes in the middle of the night and do this because I feel like an alarm is going off in my spirit telling me to start praying.  So consider yourself prayed for.  

I also looked up and read Acts 12.  This is an amazing story about the power of what constant & earnest prayer can do.  King Herod started to harass the early church so he had James the brother of John killed and he saw that this pleased the people so he arrested Peter and placed him in jail and was going to execute him as well.  He didn't just put him in the jail, he placed him in maximum security with the maximum amount of guards protecting him.   (I guess he was still a little gun shy after Jesus getting out of the tomb episode.)  So what did the local church do?  The went into a all night prayer session and they prayed for Peter with all that they had.  I can just imagine what was happening in that prayer room.  What were they praying?  What were they expecting?  How hard did they pray?  I'm not sure but one thing I do know is that they keep praying and they had a sense of urgency about what they were doing.  What ever they were praying impacted God and He responded by sending an angel to Peter and woke him up and the two of them walked out of the prison, past the guards and through the gates to freedom.  Peter went the house where the prayer meeting was still taking place and knocked on the door.  A little girl came to the door and heard Peter's voice and got so excited that she forgot to open the door and ran into the prayer meeting and told everyone that Peter was out of jail and at the front door.  It took a few minutes before anyone believed her and went to the door to check on her claim.  But when they did finally go to the door they were astonished!  I bet so!  The rest of the story goes like this - Herod killed the guards and then God killed Herod!  WOW that is the POWER OF PRAYER!

I've been thinking about what we're doing during these 21 days.  What are we praying for?  Someone's freedom, the freedom of our generation or our nation?  The healing of a loved one or a relationship? Guidance? Peace? Forgiveness?  How are we praying?  Earnestly?  Consistently? Are we expecting that God will answer our prayers?  Does God want to astonish us with His endless and creative power?

Over the next few days, I'll be setting down with the 21 days of prayer core team and talking about what to do next.  Please be praying for us.  I feel like we having been trying out this prayer thing on a 21 days money back guarantee if not satisfied stop praying and I'm feeling like we should not only keep keep doing it but maybe upgrade!  Anyways, for you that know me know that I can't leave a good thing alone but I'd like to think of it as "I can't leave a God thing alone!"

3 comments:

JEM said...

I agree! It would be great to keep this blog going. It seems like we just got started.

I will definitely being praying for you and the prayer team.

I really hope that the Blog can continue on. I will miss all of your words of inspiration from the Lord. It certainly has enriched my life.

Michael Sargent said...

I agree with you Rodney, and I am always ready for an upgrade. As I have told you, the family and I have given up TV for the 21 days and it has been good! We plan to upgrade and continue to limit TV to one or two shows or movies a week.

Anonymous said...

I was sitting here today and was thinking that the 21 days is over but mine has just begun. I started a little late, but my goal was to put a bible verse at my desk ourside my cube each day i am here and let people know I know Jesus. It has been inspiring. Not much said, but one person gave me a verse and one gave me a picture to put up with the verse. I stillhave 17 days to go, because i was a little late getting started because I wasn't sure what i wanted to do.

After all this said. I was thinking what this was doing for me. Helping me get committed in reading the word and prayer and getting encouraging words from each and everyone of you from the Core team... I know most of you but it is inspiring to know how you guys can get us going and thinking and continuing in the spirit. I am hoping that this does continue to go on becuase not everyone can make it to the different things that the church has to offer during the week, but to open this blog and read keeps us remembering what is important. I hope it does continue so that I can get blessed each and everyday from god's inspiring words that you are advised to let us know and think about. Love each and everyday and you guys for putting forth the effort to keep us focused and being committed.